Thursday, August 15, 2013

What to Wear Where: College Edition

It's back to school time! While I'm reveling in post-grad life I thought I'd share with you some tips I've picked up along the way on what to wear in college. My very first Welcome Week freshman year I spent an obscene amount of time picking out outfits for each event I was attending....actually that never really stopped. Most college events require an outfit that's the perfect balance of cute and comfy. The key is to invest in a few really good pieces that are versatile. Ellie, my favorite soon-to-be college student, graciously agreed to let me raid her closet to show you what I mean. I love her preppy, classy style, so I knew I'd have some great finds.


First up: a knit dress. I love maxi dresses because they allow you to feel glamorous and comfy all at the same time. This striped number from Ellie's closet is really versatile. For class, pair a maxi with flats and a big bag to carry all your school supplies.


In love with this Kate Spade bangle.

Same dress. Different time of day. To dress it up for a night out, I layered on the sparkly jewelry and paired it with some wedges. I'm a huge wedge fan because they tend to be much comfier than heels, especially if you're walking back to the dorm. 

 




Printed shorts and pants are huge right now, and I'm not mad about it. I'm especially a fan of these J. Crew Collection shorts. Your first week at school you're bound to have daytime social events. Pair these with a basic t-shirt and you're good to go. Since there's a lot of color going on in the clothes, I kept the accessories simple and neutral colors.



A behind the scenes look: Addie thought there should be bubbles floating around Ellie for these pics. A brilliant idea I thought, but unfortunately we didn't get quite the desired effect.



To dress up the shorts for going out to dinner, we paired them with sparkles and wedges (yes, sparkles and wedges again- it's a good tip, trust me).



Really though, I love this short pattern.

For more formal events, like rush, it's important to keep it classy (i.e. nothing too low cut, nothing too short). Ellie's sophisticated navy dress (from The Limited), pearls, and nude heels will help her impress anyone, not that she needs any help in that department ;). The green Kate Spade bag adds a fresh pop of color.



This natural color dress is another super versatile piece. To dress it down you can pair it with some flat sandals and a belt. To dress it up throw on some heels, jewels, and a blazer or cardigan if you need to look a little more professional. We kept the look pretty neutral and added a pop of color with the aqua earrings. I have an obsession with any jewelry this color.






Ready to stock your closet for school? Don't worry, I've completed the torturous task of doing all the shopping for you! Here's my list of 6 college wardrobe must-haves.

1. Basic knit dress (H&M) . It's comfy. It's classic black. I live in these kind of dresses. And please, next time you're thinking of wearing sweats to class, go for this instead :)
2. Colorful scarf (Forever 21). It's great to have with you in case it's cold in class, and when the weather starts getting chilly you'll be ready.
3. Fun sweater ( J. Crew Factory). That chilly weather I'm talking about is right around the corner!
4. Large tote (H&M). And I mean the biggest you can get. Laptops, notebooks, and textbooks really take up some space.
5. A pair of flats (Madewell). I especially love this leopard print. Sidebar- Madewell is like the one stop shop for a college wardrobe.
6. Sparkly going out dress (Topshop). I know I've been preaching versatility, but a sparkly frock is a good investment for any closet.

Doing all this back to school shopping has sorta made me wish I was going back to class myself. I'm sure that will change when I start hearing about everyone's loads of homework, though. Hope I've inspired you to hit the mall, happy shopping!

XO,
Lo



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment