Monday, February 3, 2014

Tomato Basil Soup + Pesto Grilled Toasties

Saturday was 70 and sunny in Memphis and Sunday with its freezing temps and pouring rain was an unwelcome reminder that it is not yet Spring. I found myself sinking deep into my Sunday blues.

Climbing out of the end of the weekend depression would be tricky without some Vitamin D and the beach, so I figured I'd just eat my feelings. Being a real glutton for comfort food, I decided the only cure to my gloomy mood was some warm tomato soup with some perfectly toasted grill cheese. 

Luck has it that this week one of my favorite bloggers, Rosie The Londoner, did a post on this timeless dish. I figured I'd give her recipe a go. Turns out, girlfriend is a mean chef in the kitchen, so be sure to check out some of her past recipes if you are looking for a little British spin to your chow. 

Hunker down and start dunking. Bon appetite.


















For the soup:
5 vine ripened tomatoes
Handfull of basil
Olive oil
Garlic
Pinch of paprika
Pinch of chili flakes
1 C. Veggie stock

For the toasties:
4 slices of bread (I used rosemary olive oil)
Any cheese will do (Rosie used gouda and I tried to cut out a few cals by using Babybell light)
Butter

For the pesto:
Handful of basil 
Clove of garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
Handful of pine nuts
Half a handful of grated parmesan 

Smother your tomatoes with olive oil and garlic and pop them in the oven on a baking sheet for 45 min at 375 degrees.

When they are done, the skins will have broken and should peel off just nicely. Place the tomatoes in the blender with the basil, paprika, chili flakes, and veggie stock. Puree and then pour into a sauce pan to simmer while you make your toasties. 

Toast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan on medium heat. Toss all the pesto ingredients in the food processor until it is smoothly chopped.

Slice your bread and butter one side of each slice. On the non-buttered side spread a spoonful of pesto and squish your slices of cheese in between your sammy. Throw it on the skillet on medium heat, pressing down to get that cheese good and melted.  

Plop down and enjoy!

XO,
Bee
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment