Friday, June 21, 2013

Chocolate Lover

My family (less my brother) has a slight obsession with whoopie pies. If you have never heard of a whoopie pie, I feel a tiny bit sad for you. It is basically two tiny little cakes sandwiched by a cream filling. They are a staple in our household for birthdays, holidays, or when Mama misses us. We are a family of chocoaholics...the first step is acceptance. Let me tell ya, they aren't healthy, but on the bright side there isn't an ounce of butter just a lot of Crisco :)

This particular whoopie pie bake off is commencing because it just so happens to be my ravishing big sister's birthday weekend. She is kind of awesome and totally deserves a little chocolate love.

I'd give you this age old recipe passed down through the family, but then I'd have to kill you...


The batter 


This is deceiving. I was sneaking spoonfuls yummmm!!!!




The filling





I only ate one. Fine I'm lying.


As my brother would say...people that don't like sprinkles are basically saying they don't like puppies, babies, or fun. He is wise beyond his years. 


Oh fine, I guess I'll share my family's secret recipe. Only because it seems cruel not to.

Whoopie Pies (1/2 batch)

Batter
2 c. sifted flour heaping
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. cocoa
1/2 c. buttermilk (I used 1 c. almond milk mixed with 1 tbsp. vinegar)
1/2 c. hot water
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg

Combine all but baking soda. Add it to hot water very last. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet and use cookie dough scooper for even sized pies. Bake for 5ish minutes...depends on the oven so watch closely.

Filling
1 egg white 
1 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt

Blend until fluffy. Then add...

1/2 c. shortening
1 c. powdered sugar

Once the pies have cooled, spread filling and sandwich together. If you like lots of filling double the filling portion. You can also make them more fun with sprinkles, chocolate chips, etc.

XOXO,
Bee

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment